Every Conversation in Live Agent can have an assignee. An assignee can be manually added to the Conversation via the web console, the API, or automatically via an available round-robin assignment system. This doc explains how you can assign an Agent to a Conversation.
A Conversation can be manually assigned to two categories of users.
- Agents who have access to the Inbox in which the Conversation is created.
- Administrators who can access every Conversation in the system.
To assign an Agent or admin to a Conversation, an admin/Agent can select the assignee from the dropdown menu titled "Assigned Agent" from the "Conversation Details" section in the right-hand sidebar, as shown below.
Live Agent provides a round-robin auto-assignment system for Conversations. The assignment follows the logic mentioned below.
Note: Round robin assignment is enabled by default.
- If there are Agents online who have access to the Inbox in which a Conversation is created, the system would distribute the Conversations equally among the online Agents.
- If all the Agents are offline, the system would distribute the Conversations equally to all Agents.
Enable Round-Robin or Auto Assignment¶
To enable round-robin or auto assignment in your Inbox, follow the steps below.
- Go to Settings -> Inboxes
- Click on the Inbox settings link of the Inbox you want to enable auto assignment
- Click on the Collaborators tab
- Find the setting to enable auto assignment, as shown below
- Change it to "Enabled" and click on "Update"
Automatic Conversation Reassignment¶
Live Agent provides a round-robin auto-reassignment system for Conversations. It works in the same way as auto-assignment, except that it happens on real-time Agent related events. These are the following:
- Agent sets their availability to "Offline" (availability can be changed by clicking on the profile thumbnail)
- Agent logs out
When this happens, the Agent assigned Conversations are re-assigned to other Agents, following the previously mentioned round-robin logic. If there are no Agents online, the Conversations are set to unassigned.